Saturday, April 7, 2012

A to Z Challenge: Fear


Fear. I feel like an expert on the subject. I’ve spent a good portion of my life ruled by fear. Fear of big things. Fear of small things. Fear of just about everything. Fear is paralyzing. After awhile, it’s just easier not to do much of anything.

Yet the more we succumb to it, the more it boxes us in. Our world gets smaller and smaller. We get more fearful, not less. I find that the more I step out in faith and choose not to live in fear, the less power it has over me.

The opposite of fear is love. I try to remember that it’s not God who puts fear into my heart; it’s the evil one. Knowing the source of fear helps to put things in perspective.  I love I John 4:18 – “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out (casts out) fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” And 2 Timothy 1:7 is extremely helpful to me too. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of a sound mind.” 


5 comments:

  1. I think all of us have a fear of something, but it's how one handles that fear. It's not a pleasant emotion and I am no exception, I won't say what my fear is but to overcome it I play my relaxation cds and just chill out.

    Happy Easter.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the follow at Falling For Fiction, nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, fear...close friend and enemy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheryl,

    First, thank you for stopping by my blog. Second, I agree. I have chosen to let fear go, as I found it was consuming so much of me. Now, I only let a tiny bit in....

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete