Sunday, April 1, 2012

A to Z April Challenge: Attitude

If there’s one major thing we can control in life, it’s our attitude. Lots of things happen to us – good and bad. Life can feel overwhelming and out of control.

 I used to think that having a good attitude meant you had to go around being all perky all the time, kind of like a cheerleader or something. Frankly, most of the time I don’t have that kind of energy. It’s not me. And I can’t muster up that much excitement when I’m having a bad day anyway. 

However, it’s not about being someone you are not. More often it’s about choosing not to be grumpy when something bad happens – like when your kid doesn’t listen for the fiftieth time that day, you lose your car keys or a friend lets you down. Or maybe it’s something bigger. Maybe we go around with a general lousy attitude because we weren’t born with a pretty face or money or a nice figure. 

 The truth is that everyone can find things to be unhappy about. We can really make ourselves miserable if we try hard enough. Or, like the April showers that bring May flowers (I almost used that for “A” today), we can let the rains of life allow us to grow and blossom into a better person than we would have been without them. It’s really up to us. 

7 comments:

  1. I almost wrote about attitude myself, today. I remind myself of this daily, it's good to know that others are out there doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that... We can choose not to be grumpy. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. If you can't change the situation, you need to change your attitude (not always easy). It won't make the situation better, but it'll help you live with it so you can move on, and that is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully said! And meant for me I think. I had the crappiest attitude today, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I find it hard to stay positive all the time, too. But I do know that I have a choice on what to do when I'm feeling grumpy. I have been keeping a list of 5 things I'm thankful for each day (except lately..I have forgotten!)Your post reminded me to get back into the habit! Enjoy the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post, attitude is a frame of mind, and it's only us that can control how others see us.

    Look forward to your next post.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't agree more. We see what we want to see (most of the time).

    ReplyDelete