Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O - Overwhelmed



O is for overwhelmed. Obviously. Or can you not tell? Oh, where are M & N? Over the rainbow. On the trash heap. Ok, I can’t keep this up much longer; it’s just annoying.

I overwhelm easily. It doesn’t take much. I actually had M and N posts. I made notes and everything. Lots of thoughts in my head. Maybe I will flesh them out after the A to Z challenge and post them. For now, I cannot let the overwhelm get the best of me. Onward I go.

Life throws a lot at us. The house is such a mess, we don’t know where to start. We can’t even get dinner on the table because the baby is screaming, the dog’s chewing something and we can’t find a clean pot.

I’m certainly no expert because I still struggle with it. But what does help me is to focus on this: one thing. Just do something. One thing. The only thing that maybe I know to do. It may not feel like much. But it’s one step in the right direction. When I have a pile of dishes or papers that overwhelms me, I sometimes use this trick. Every time I walk by said pile, I clean up one thing. Just one. At first, it doesn’t feel like I’m doing much. But it’s also easy and non-threatening. And eventually you get to where you can see progress. It’s amazing how your point of view changes when you can see a little progress. You’re not so overwhelmed anymore.

This can be applied to bigger things too. You may not have a clue how to solve world hunger, but you can donate to or volunteer at your local soup kitchen. You may not be able to do anything about the partisan political climate, but you can stop demonizing those who disagree with you. You may not be able to bring about world peace singlehandedly, but you can stop belittling your child.

You don’t have to do it all. Just do one thing. Just one. Try it.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I've been overwhelmed lately trying to finish a website... except I don't want to be a web developer anymore. I just want to write all day. The though of having to finish that website is overwhelming. I need to just do it so I don't ever have to think about it again.

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, one step at a time, not the whole stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, not the whole stairs...I love that!! Good post. www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. When all else fails, I throw in a load of laundry.

    ReplyDelete