Tuesday, April 2, 2013

B - Birthday





Allison stopped in her tracks. Something was dancing above her normally bare desk. She flipped on a light switch. Not dancing, floating.  A balloon bouquet. How lovely. She smiled. This wasn’t like him. Brett wasn’t usually so thoughtful. And how did he manage to get into her office? She felt a twinge of guilt for assuming he had forgotten her birthday.

She set her things down and went to the coffee pot. She liked getting in to work before everyone else. It was quiet. Peaceful. Plus she could get a jump on the day before all of the customers started calling in.  She picked up the phone to thank Brett.

 “Morning,” Steve smiled at her, interrupting her thoughts. “Oh, hi. You startled me. I didn’t realize anyone else was here.”

 “Happy birthday. Do you like your balloons?” Steve asked. 

“Oh – I –uh-yes. I can’t believe-“ She stopped as she realized they were probably not from Brett at all. “They’re from you?” she smiled involuntarily.

“Of course. Who did you think they were from? Greta the Grinch?” he laughed. Their supervisor Greta wasn’t exactly known for her people skills. Allison grinned.

“Yeah right. No, I just…that was so thoughtful. I didn’t know you even knew it was my birthday,” she answered softly. 

“I make it my business to know these things.” She could feel him looking at her, though she was pretending not to notice. 

“Well, thanks,” she said, putting down the phone. She felt a little blush in her cheeks.

11 comments:

  1. I sense there is much more to this story. You continuing with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try. I love writing fiction but have always had trouble continuing the storyline and completing it.

      Delete
  2. Not sure if this is the same day that she was already annoyed with Brett...wonder if he left early to get her a gift!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, a serial story for A to Z? How fun!! Happy B day!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I hope I can continue this. We will see.

      Delete
  4. This is going to be a good treat for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you're doing stories about a character through AZ? Look forward to the rest of your challenge posts! Try replacing Captcha with Comment Moderation to receive more comments while keeping your blog secure.
    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
    Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I didn't realize I had Captcha on. I think I fixed it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. great scene, a lot of meat there.

    ReplyDelete